Skip to content

EIA Policy and Staff

Work Force Development Support Organizational Flow Chart 2014

Community Service Delivery Organizational Flow Chart 2014

Training and Employment Services Organizational Flow Chart 2014

Family Services and Labour Organizational Chart (August 2012)

Quick Reference to EIA Rates

General Assistance

Single Parent

Person with a Disability

Manitoba Child Benefit

Contact Lists for EIA Offices – Winnipeg (as of March 2013)

Centralized Services

Downtown East

Downtown Main

Downtown West

Fort Garry – River Heights

Inkster -Seven Oaks

Point Douglas

River East – Transcona

St Boniface -St Vital

St James-Assiniboia-Assiniboine South


Manitoba Assistance Act

Assistance Regulation

  1. Elise permalink

    What is the maximum amount of liquid money, economies, equity, etc. that a person receiving welfare may earn or keep without affecting the amount of financial help received?

    I can’t find this information anywhere.

    Thank you.

    • This depends on your situation best thing to do is call, make an appointment with one of our advocates and go over your personal situation. 947-2220

  2. Tim Henderson permalink

    The Welfare appeal board sent my EIA worker David Durham on 896 Main st. a decision without my supporting documents. I saw the decision and wondered how they did that when on one of their brochures it clearly states that I would be able to state my case in from of a independant 3 panel review committee. This really stinks to high heaven, please advise…It didn’t end there!

  3. $200 dollars can be earned a month before deductions occur on your monthly benefits budget. 🙂

    • steve permalink

      i had to ask the person who became my worker this question 4 times before they would respond.
      They only answered properly when I told them it was my right to know…they seemed unhappy to comply

    • You do need to claim any income that you make weather its under or over 200.

  4. You can find all this information on line on the Administration Manual online

    The following exemptions as a work incentive are allowed on earned income for applicants and participants:

    For participants enrolled longer than one month

    Up to $200 of net monthly earnings plus 30% of net monthly earnings in excess of $200
    Enhanced self-employment programs may be subject to exceptional exemptions (see Section 17.1.5
    100% earning exemptions for dependent children attending school full time (see Section 16.1.8
    For applicants and participants who have been enrolled less than one month

    Up to $200 of net monthly earnings
    Actual earnings received during enrolment, are to be fully considered less the allowable exemption of $200.00, and are not to be prorated. This applies for all earnings received during enrolment, even when some of the hours for which the person is being paid were worked before the person was enrolled on EIA.

    Section 16.2.2

  6. Hi Tim!

    With the limited information you provided it sounds like your Appeal did not go to the Appeal Board or you did not attend the Appeal Board Hearing. The Appeal Board (not your worker) is responsible to notify you of the Appeal Board Hearing date and also provide you with the supporting documents your EIA case worker provided as evidence to make their case for the decision they made on your file. Participants are notified in writing of the Appeal Board Hearing date at the address they provided on their Appeal Form and then after receiving the notice of the Appeal Board Hearing date the Appeal Board provides you with a copy of what your worker sent to them to demonstrate why that decision was made and your worker is provided with your supporting documents showing why you disagree with the worker’s decision.

    Usually when you file an appeal you do not submit the Appeal Form to your worker, you submit it by fax 204-945-1736 or in person to the Appeal Board located at 7th Fl – 175 Hargrave St and the Appeal Form has to be submitted within 30 of the EIA Department’s decision. Usually when you request things from EIA they must send you a letter advising you of the decision the department has made then they are required to send a letter informing you of that even if they have advised you verbally (in person/over the phone). The date on that letter is the date that is considered when they look at the 30 day rule. If you did not receive this information it was either sent to an incorrect address or the Appeal Form was not submitted to the Appeal Board.

    After this process of requesting an Appeal is filed with the Appeal Board you attend the scheduled Appeal Board Hearing that they notified you of by mail. Your case worker, case worker’s supervisor and you (you can also bring an advocate/or emotional support person with you) are on one side of the table and the 3 person committee of the Appeal Board sit on the other side. Next your worker provides their information and states verbally why they made the decision they made with their supporting documents which is usually parts of the EIA Legislation Manual and then you state your side with your supporting documents (supporting documents must be submitted with your Appeal Form as the Appeal Board does not always accept new information while in the middle of the hearing) and then the Appeal Board will ask questions of both sides, the department and yourself. The Appeal Hearing then ends.

    After this the Appeal Board mails out their decision with an explanation of why they decided what they decided along with all the supporting documents provided by both sides to the mailing address you provided on your Appeal Form.

    You can contact the Appeal Board directly yourself at 204-945-3003 or 204-945-3005 to ask what happened with your appeal and they must advise you of the outcome if the Appeal was filed with them.

    See the last post for a direct link to the EIA Administrative Manual to see more information directly related to what you were appealing and what the legislation actually says about it and the following is link to more information regarding the specifics of the Appeal Board and it’s process.

    The information regarding appeals specifically is in the EIA Administrative Manual is Section 6.10 and this a link directly to that Section of the Manual

    You also have the option of contacting the Fair Practices Office if you feel your worker is being disrespectful or unfair.

    EIA Issue resolution Process
    If you are not satisfied with your EIA worker’s decision
    or believe that you have not been treated fairly, follow
    these steps to address your concerns:
    • Speak again with your EIA worker. There may have
    been a misunderstanding and something just needs
    to be explained better.
    • If you still have questions or concerns, ask to speak
    with an EIA supervisor.

    Fair Practices Office
    If you have spoken with the EIA supervisor and feel
    that your concerns have not been addressed, you
    can contact the EIA Fair Practices Office. The EIA Fair
    Practices Officer will:
    • listen to your concerns
    • discuss the facts of your case
    • explain any important details you do not
    • help find a solution

    EIA Fair Practices Office
    305 – 114 Garry Street
    Winnipeg MB R3C 1G1
    Telephone: 204-945-1047
    Toll-free: 1-800-282-8069 extension 1047
    Fax: 204-945-5668

    Social Services Appeal Board
    You also have the right to appeal certain decisions
    about your EIA case file to the Social Services Appeal
    Board (SSAB). The SSAB is an independent group
    that reviews appeals from participants of certain
    government programs, including EIA.
    The decisions you may appeal include:
    • not being allowed to apply or reapply for income
    • being made to wait too long for a decision after you
    have applied for income assistance or an increase in
    • your application for income assistance being denied
    • having your income assistance cancelled, suspended,
    changed or withheld
    • not receiving enough income assistance
    You have 30 days after an EIA program decision is made
    to file your appeal in writing to the SSAB. A hearing to
    review your case will be scheduled. You can present
    your case yourself or ask someone to speak for you.
    For more information or to file an appeal, contact:

    Social Services Appeal Board
    7th Floor – 175 Hargrave Street, Winnipeg, MB R3C 3R8
    Telephone (Winnipeg): 204-945-3003
    Toll free: 1-800-282-8069

    Hope that helps and good luck!

  7. Mandy permalink

    HI I recently became pregnant and was wondering how much my budget would be changed when I declare that I now will be living with my boyfriend?? He doesn’t have a working income, he’s in extended care and receives help from them for his living expenses. Will I be cut off completely? I still have to pay for my own things and part of rent, will I still get my usual benefits?

  8. Junior permalink

    I’m seeking a EIA advocate to help me with my appeal board meeting. I’ve filed the appeal and now waiting for the response for a date and time. I have a few concerns and matters that have come up with my present worker and tried to address to supervisor but get no response. I don’t like to be on assistance and this worker is not helpful at all to help us succeed to achieve success, she shares my file with others like isn’t there a privacy act. She assumes I’m an addict, why because I’m aboriginal. She sanctions because she feels like it even if injuries and doctor’s note are shown and provided leaving us with $100 to feed two growing kids and two adults. I thought these workers job titles were to help guide us to resources to offer us tools to be self dependant not to make us suffer and drive us to addictions because of the suffering. Good thing I’m a strong person and won’t let her win I will persevere and overcome her negative obstacles and games. But to those that crumble to this system I feel for you and don’t be afraid to appeal decision when you know your rights.

  9. none of those addresses work regarding the eia manual

  10. Weird they changed all the internet addresses?????? anyway I was able to find it again…

  11. for an advocate you can contact a few agencies, one I know of off hand is Thrive Community Support Services, 204-772-9091

  12. To the pregnant woman they will consider your combined income and assess how much you will receive for your budget this does not necessarily mean you will be “cut off” but your budget may be reduced as they will consider his income and your income a combined household income. This answer is based on the limited info you provided.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s